Have you been the victim of ID theft?


Miski Ibrahim
Ung kvinna som sitter med telefon och kreditkort och ser bekymrad ut.
Do you suspect you’ve been the victim of ID theft?

Being the victim of ID theft and fraud is often very unpleasant and can have serious consequences. If you suspect that someone has taken out a loan, bought goods or, for example, signed a subscription in your name without your knowledge, it’s important that you report it quickly and prevent further damage.

Report to the police that you’ve been the victim of ID theft

The first thing you should do when you suspect you’ve been the victim of ID theft is to report it to the police. You do this by either calling 114 14 or visiting the nearest police station. By reporting the crime to the police, an investigation is started. This, in turn, increases the chances of being able to identify the suspect so that they can be brought to justice.

Block your social security number

By blocking your social security number with the credit reporting companies, you can protect yourself against more fraud being committed in your name. The major credit reporting agencies usually cooperate. Therefore, you only need to block your social security number with one of them. But to be on the safe side, it might be good to double check with the credit reporting agency that the call you’re making is enough.

Review your bank statements

It’s important that you review all your bank statements, both for bank cards and credit cards. Check for transactions or credits you don’t recognize. If you find any, you have to share the information with the police and contact your bank about the faulty transactions. The bank will then investigate how the transactions took place and help you refund them.

Contact the Swedish Tax Agency about ID theft

It’s also a good idea to contact the Swedish Tax Agency to find out if your address has been changed in the national register. Sometimes this can be done to be able to get your mail and order additional credit cards and such in your name. By informing the Swedish Tax Agency that you’ve been the victim of ID theft, you can protect yourself from further fraud.

Dispute incorrect claims

If you receive invoices and such for things you haven’t ordered, you have to dispute these. You do this by explaining the situation to the company that sent the invoice. If you don’t, the risk is that the invoices gets sent to the Enforcement Authority and that you’ll end up having to pay for purchases you didn’t make.

Download the Kliently app for legal help today