Happy family eating dinner with focus on man smiling at another family member.
Reuniting with family in your new home country is a dream to many

Do you want to apply for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties?

Many dream of reuniting with family members in Sweden after receiving a residence permit. It’s the start of a new life in the new homeland. It’s not an impossible dream, but it is a process and often a lengthy one. Above all, it’s important that you meet the requirements for residence permits on the grounds of family ties.

When you apply for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties, you have to be married, have been living together as common-law partners, have entered into a partnership with each other or plan to marry or become common-law partners in Sweden. You also need to prove your relationship by presenting a marriage certificate, certificate of partnership or other documents that show what kind of relationship you have had and how you intend to continue the relationship in Sweden.

You can also apply for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties if you’re a parent with a child under the age of 18. In the case your child lives outside the EU, you as the parent is the one who has to apply for the residence permit for your child. In some cases, other close family members can also apply for residence permit in Sweden on the grounds of family ties. If, for example, it’s a close family member with whom you’ve lived with in your home country.

Fulfilling the maintenance requirement is a must

The one of you that has a residence permit in Sweden has to have a home large enough for and be able to support the both of you. However in some cases, the person who wants to move to Sweden will have to show that they can support themselves. It’s also important that your home has a sufficiently good standard. How much space the home needs to have and how large of a income you need to have depends on how many family members you are. If the one living in Sweden with a residence permit is a child under the age of 18, they don’t have to support the family member who wants to move here.

Another important requirement is that the person who wants to move to Sweden applies for and is granted a visa or residence permit before the move. You need to submit the application on time and with all necessary documents attached. You can easily make an application together with a lawyer to make sure you won’t miss anything important. Your application should be made with the Swedish embassy, a consulate or submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency.

Talk to a lawyer

Do you need help from an expert in migration issues? Book a video call with Miski Ibrahim, Carl Seffer, Anuta Sjunghamn or Nadja Hatem in the Kliently app.

Download the Kliently app for legal help today