Lagbok med ordförandeklubba på.
Law gavel on a book, law books background, wooden desk

Are you familiar with these legal concepts?

Individual property is what you own which can’t be divided between you and your partner in the event of a divorce or seperation. This can be property that you and your partner have decided to be individual through a prenuptial agreement cohabitation agreement, or property you have inherited and has been decided to be your indivudal property through a will.

Property division is a process where a couple’s joint assets and debts are valued and divided between the parties in the event of a divorce or seperation.

Movable property is usually loose things such as cars, jewellery, money and things that are not fixed such as real estate and land. Condominiums, securities and shares are also counted as movable property.

Matrimonial property is assets you and your partner have acquired together during your marriage.

A testator is the person who writes a will in which he or she gives their last wish.

Power of attorney is when you authorize a person to decide on personal and financial matters on your behalf.

Alimony is what one parent pays the other to cover the child’s living expenses in cases where the child spends more time with one of you.

Maintenance support is paid out by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency when the parent who have to pay alimony doesn’t have the financial means to do so. The maintenance support have to be paid back to the Social Insurance Agency by the parent who should have paid alimony.